Kalamazoo Klash Headlines Postponed Events
Sterling Heights, MI (Monday, April 27, 2020) - More information is being released from Michigan based pavement tracks in response to Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s latest executive order issued on April 24th. The order, which extends Michigan’s Stay Home initiative through May 15th, has compromised the start dates for at least five asphalt facilities, including Kalamazoo Speedway.
In a social media post by Promoter Gary Howe, Kalamazoo Speedway announced that all events through May 22nd and the May 29th event have been cancelled. The Modified Nationals event originally scheduled for Saturday, May 23rd and the Kalamazoo Klash, originally scheduled for Wednesday, June 3rd have been suspended. The statement went on to say that Kalamazoo Speedway’s 71st consecutive season will still open with a delayed running of the Intimidator 100. Officials hope to announce small group practices and track rentals soon, but did not indicate a possible start date for the season.
Owosso Speedway followed suit, posting in a social media release on Friday that the 2020 season was delayed until further notice. They say that officials will wait until they have the clearance to race before they post any additional plans for the season. They also intend to host Test and Tune sessions before the first race, but did not give any indication on when that may be.
Clio, Michigan’s Auto City Outdoor Event Center also announced plans for a delayed start, recognizing Governor Whitmer’s planned phases of reopening the State. In their Facebook announcement, Auto City says they plan to host open practices “on a few Saturdays” in May. Management says their tentative start date now falls on Saturday, June 20th for an Mi Drift event, one week prior to the scheduled Night of Destruction. There has been no mention of rescheduling the May 16th Mod Madness event.
In Northern Michigan, Whittemore Speedway posted a short update to their official Facebook Page, stating that their Test and Tune for May 2nd and May 9th had been cancelled.
Further north, Norway Speedway did not post any official update, but simply changed their Facebook cover photo from seven, to six Fridays until their June 5th scheduled opening night, seemingly indicating that they still expect to open on-time.
With the extension of the order, other venue cancellations are likely, and many are assumed despite official announcements. Watch the Horsepower Happenings website and social media pages for future updates.
For more stories like this, visit horsepowerhappenings.com. Tune in to the weekly podcast premiering every Monday evening or listen anytime on-demand. Follow Horsepower Happenings on Facebook and on Twitter @HPHpodcast.